Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Little Cities


Little Cities
97" x 97"

I started this one 2 years ago and it has been redesigned quite a few times. I actually bought the fabric for it 5 years ago when my bed and bath were being remodeled. But I was stuck and couldn't decide what to do with it (probably related to my marital woes). AS soon as the husband moved out, I knew what I wanted to do with this, although it has been revealing itself to me along the way. The smallest blocks are 1 " square with small circles appliqued with satin stitch on them. There are about 1000 of those. The biggest blocks are 12" square, and there are very few of those! Don't ask how many total blocks, I don't know. And now, I would have to say that sewing the blocks together was NOT the fun part.
The quilt reminds me of a city, surrounded by water. There are roadblocks and resources and little communities. I have always been fascinated by the way people form groups, for the similarities they embrace and the differences they seek out. At what point do the differences become too much and we need to wall ourselves off?
On another level this quilt represents healing for me. I had a lot of grief when my husband left and made me a single mom. The red represents rage and passion, the orange represents changes, the pink was the love I still had, the yellow was the fear. The green is in every block and represents a growth path through time and everything I do. The center is about integrating the feelings. I unknowingly made a spiral out of the center blocks (you have to squint to see it). The blue was the sadness and isolation, and the purple was the healing (the color of healing bruises).
I finished piecing the top for my birthday on Sunday. It was my present to myself to get it off my design board so that I could move on and start some other projects. I will quilt it this summer while the kids are in camp.

11 comments:

Pat Dolan said...

This is an award-winner, once you get it quilted, of course! (ggg) The design and compositon are excellent, the colors vibrant, and your artists' statement is profound. Congratulations on getting this far on your journey and your quilt.

Karoda said...

I was going to echo Pat...this is a fabulous piece. The design is great!

Unknown said...

Kathy, it was great to read more about the meaning behind this. It is such a monumental quilt marking your jouney emotionally through this difficult time, as well as being a dazzling eye popper. I want to see it finished and hanging in Houston with a nice big ribbon next to it. Bravo girl!

Unknown said...

Hi Kathy,

Love the quilts and the colours :) Thanks for posting the link on QA. Helen

Brenda said...

I love the colour and movement in this quilt!

Sybil said...

It is a wonderful piece by itself but with the narrative I could feel and see the process. Thank you

Dale Anne Potter said...

Oh Kathy, this is FABULOUS, GORGEOUS, FANTASTIC, ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!!!
I LOVE all the colours and I could see the spiral in the centre before reading your comment.
What a journey and I'm so glad you posted!

Anonymous said...

Love it!

Hedgehog said...

This quilt is absolutely stunning.

ale balanzario said...

Outstanding quilt, and the narrative... wow.

Anonymous said...

Kathy your quilt is amazing. I have just read your story and I am sorry that you have had all this pain in your life. I wonder if making the quilt has been cathartic for you - I am sure that it helped carry you through your trauma, and as you say it is a healing quilt now. The construction of it is amazing and the colours are fabulous. Congratulations on completing such a journey and producing a stunning piece of art - I wish you comfort and joy.